It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Will there be anything left of our cars by the time we p
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:23 am 

We are screwed. See today's paper? Not much paving going to happen. 10 streets in the next 3 years? What a shame. It's just history folks. I've lived here 12 years now and there is no change. The roads suck and help is not on the way. I've never in my life seen a town that has so many storm drains that are 8" below the road surface, manholes 4" down right in the driving lane. This is a safety issue mainly. This is not rocket science to fix. Repaving? I'd rather they spend the money and go around and fix the above mentioned so the roads are SAFER. What about out of town people? They don't know the "map" around all these holes we know by heart? And we know them by heart because they have been there for YEARS!!!! Pick a damn street already and start!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:16 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Well said oldnbored! The better question is, where did the money go that the city announced that they had for all of this paving, originally all to be done this year. I know i have the Era article somewhere. Part was going to be completed with liquid fuels, and many were going to be done with the mill it and re-lay it technique, remember? I do. Something smells fishy...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Just to let the readers out in BT land know, there are risers available in different heights for the manhole covers for the city streets. All of the low manhole covers in Bradford are also nothing but a big funnel for contributing to I&I problems in the sewer system. They should also be using a gasket in between the riser and the manhole to keep out the water.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:09 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Thanks landlord, we always appreciate it when you fill in some blanks for us. Please keep us enlightened whenever you get the chance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:21 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I see the Forman street Rail crossing has been temporarily repaired. My guess is that the wood under the old pavement was torn up to make the replacement crossing take less time to install, but then again maybe thats what passes for repaving these days... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:56 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I hope its not a typo in todays Era. There is a notice listing most of the streets on the three year list to get ready to get ready for paving during september. Are we magically back to the original plan that disappeared over the summer? I sure hope so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:16 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Congress Street looks a million times better already! When I took my son to the bus stop, they were scraping the road, after eating dinner last night, they were still working! I'm impressed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:49 am 

Hey Landlord, I wonder if we could find out the cost of those risers...? If they aren't too expensive we have no reason not to eliminate the permanant pothole.
Also, who is responsible for South Kendall from Looker Mountain to the bottom of Rew Hill? Is that the state or township? This is one of the most neglected pieces of roadway and the most DANGEROUS road I can think of. The shoulders are too low and narrow if there is one. Edges of the road missing and long sections close to the edge, 2-3 feet wide, that is collapsing, making driving dangerous especially at night or in the rain/snow.
What is it going to take to get this fixed? Deaths?

Narrow, and in bad condition, pretty much a roller coaster ride, is too exciting at 55 MPH.
Sure would be nice to see it widened and repaved.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:00 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Oldnbored,
South Kendall and Looker Mountain are all Penndot state roads. I will contact Penndot about the condition of those berms. Thanks for letting me know. I will have to get back to you on the price of the risers. It shouldn't matter what they cost in comparison to the damage our vehicles suffer on the City streets. As I said on a previous post, they are a funnel for the city's sewer system letting in I&I.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 am 

thank you, landlord !
Do you have a number that you can post for PennDot?
The more squeakin the wheel does the more oil it gets.
And, as long as we are on the subject, don't we have any kind of number we can call for the pothole hotline for here in the city?
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am 

I have driven on South Kendall and noticed that they repainted the white and yellow lines all down it so I guess that means no paving this year. I hope who ever is in charge sleeps good at night if someone gets killed on that dangerous road. Collapsing, crumbling, low shoulders, deep ditches in some areas. Probably should lower the speed limit until it gets fixed.
Talked to a man at the BASD about the risers on the manholes and he said they get them as close as they can when the contract calls for 2" of blacktop thats all they get and no more or less. So, according to him, they are doing the best they can. The manholes have to be low, if they stick up the plows will hit them.
It just seems to me they can try to get them closer than they are. You know, we all call them "permanant potholes". Other towns don't seem to have as much of a problem getting them to grade. Probably more of a problem with the pavers not getting the blacktop to the right level. Or the scrapers getting down 2" below the rim in preparation. I think something could be done to make it smoother, someone is dropping the ball. To spend this kind of money for repair and still have "permanant potholes" is a waste.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Oldnbored,
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. The price on the risers is about $100 a piece. Some of the streets paved in Foster Township that used risers to bring the streets up to grade are: Stewart Street, Miller Street, Wright Street, Lincolndale Avenue and Morianna Avenue. I was told that all the municipality has to do is give the risers to the paving contractor, and they will put them in for a smooth grade.